Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 15: Temples

Kyoto, to me is where you go to see temples and get a quick taste of the more traditional side of Japan. I can't remember the name of this temple, but the journey to get there and actually find it was just as entertaining as the place itself.

4/29/2010
Where you wash your hands and the statues. Each one represents something. I forget what.



4/29/2010
The ladle


4/29/2010
That fountain overlooks this cemetary



4/29/2010
There is a significance to all the statues, I forget what though.



4/28/2010



4/28/2010
There's a name for these fancy types of arrangements, and I can't remember what it's called. I wanted to see a lot more of them, but this is the only one I got to see during the trip. Next time I'll be sure to see more. It's strange but the composition of these things are really quite extraordinary if you pay close attention.



4/28/2010
Sun is out, so it's black and white :)



4/29/2010
Much better light in the shade. This bamboo trail led to the water fountain in the first image.



4/29/2010
Looking back before leaving. Light was pretty harsh, but I still like this one for some reason.

3 comments:

photohogger said...

I'll lend you my Japanese Art book.

Love the bamboo shot and I also like the last one.

HOGGER + Co. said...

What, you can't upload in Seattle?
:P

Unknown said...

Hi, I love your photos, so beautiful and serene.

Just for ref:
The flower arrangements are ikebana.
The place is Adashino Nenbutsu-Ji Temple 化野念佛寺 in Arashiyama.

I'm looking forward to seeing more :)