Tuesday, April 14, 2009

day 1 pt 2

When I travel I tend to grab a map, memorize where I am, and where I need to go and then stick a compass in my pocket. This way, if I ever become disoriented, I just have to check if I'm going in the general direction rather than whip out a map to signal to everybody that I'm a tourist.

This was the plan for my first day out. Hit the Ladies Market (flea market), Nathan road, Fa Yuen Street, goldfish market, flower market, bird market and then head on back. I'd then shower and then meet up with Harry and Aaron for Dinner.

20090317-_DSC0629
I'm not going to ask whether there's a humane way to make these fish these colours. There probably isn't


20090317-_DSC0633
Apparently, people buy a lot of fish here. There were dozens and dozens of shops like these lining the streets


20090317-_DSC0634
On my way to the flower and bird market


20090317-_DSC0650
Some birds for sale. This place I will not visit again. There's something creepy about 100's of birds calling out from cages, many of whom have escaped and fly about you. Also, birds generally eat worms, and insects, which is the other thing that they sell there. I'll spare you the pictures.


20090317-_DSC0637
That's over $50US a pop!

4 comments:

Cathy L said...

I love these photos... did you take any of the hanging nasty men thongs at the ladies market in the shape of elephant trunks or monkeys tail?

hobo said...

Haha no, but I did see them :) You should have told me, I would have brought you back one :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, lookit those fish! Did you buy anything from the market?
Lovin' the 3rd pic - you're really using your tilt/shift lens eh? That photo's got such an old skool quality.

hobo said...

No tilt here! All are either 105mm or 50mm